Permanent Exhibitions

The Museum - Orawa Ethnographic Park was founded based on Moniak's manor which already in 1937 was donated to the Treasury with the intention of creating in it a museum presenting Polish culture of Orava. Working on making an exhibition began in the 1950s, and the official opening of the museum is assumed to be in 1955, when the Moniak's manor, which is until today the most important and valuable monument and the heart of the museum, was opened to the public. Currently, the whole collection is comprised of 34 exhibitions exemplifying the life of various social strata in Orava in 17th through the 19th century as well as rural industrial plants: an oil mill, a fulling mill, a sawmill, a sawmill together with a watermill and forges.

The permanent exhibitions of the Museum - Orawa Ethnographic Park in Zubrzyca Górna are comprised of 60 facilities altogether (data from the end of 2017) and so-called small architecture facilities which along with the surrounding nature constitute two-part spatial arrangement. The museum area is about 12 ha. The first, older part situated around the mansion's buildings has a park nature, while layout of the newer part refers to a common type of village in Orava, called a scattered chain.

  1. QUINCHA (Polish: LAMUS) – an 18th-century building with a small first floor and a railing
  2. BLACK INN – an 18th-century building from Podwilk. Currently: TICKETS, SOUVENIRS, SMALL GASTRONOMY
  3. COTTAGE OF ALOJZY DZIUBEK from Jabłonka – a 19th-century building with a granary (Polish: wyżka), you can see an exhibition presenting the Orava wedding chamber
  4. APIARY - a group of tree-trunk hives, called stand log hives
  5. COTTAGE OF PAŚ-FILIPEK from Jabłonka – 18th/19th century, a typical example of Orava's architecture, showing a style of wealthy hosts. According folk traditions, it was once relocated from Zubrzyca Górna to Jabłonka as a dowry of the bride. An exhibition of traditional weaving inside.
  6. MONIAK'S MANOR kept 'in situ' together with the stables, a sheepfold, a pigsty and a cellar are the heart of the open-air museum. The oldest part of the manor comes from the 17th century, the newer one from the 18th century. The Moniak family had the village administratory function from the moment the village was located until the middle of the 19th century. In 1674, it gained a gentry title conferred by the imperial act.
  7. OIL MILL - two rooms, one of which was equipped with an old wooden tool for crushing in Polish called ‘stępy’ which had been used to produce linseed flour, in the second room there is a wedge press for oil pressing.
  8. DZIURCZAK'S COTTAGE – from the end of the 19th century, transferred from Zubrzyca Dolna, presenting the newer type of Orava architecture.
  9. OMYLAK'S COTTAGE – from the second half of the 19th century, transferred from Zubrzyca Dolna, you can explore an exhibition about Piotr Borowy - 'Orava's apostle'
  10. PRESBYTERY – this is a building from the 1930s, transferred from Podwilk. Currently, our museum office is placed inside.
  11. WONTORCZYK’S HOMESTEAD – 'L' shaped. It is comprised of a 19th-century cottage from Lipnica Mała and utility buildings of Solawa from Zubrzyca Dolna, the 1940s. An exhibition concerning tailoring inside.
  12. SHEPHERD'S HUT (Polish: BACÓWKA) – a hut where you can see an exhibition concerning herding
  13. COTTAGE OF ANNA PAWLAK from Piekielnik from the second half of the 19th century, an exhibition of carpentry and woodcarving inside
  14. COTTAGE OF ŚWIETLAK from Zubrzyca Górna from the 1940s, rooms are currently used for educational workshops
  15. COTTAGE OF JOANNA MONIAK from Zubrzyca Górna from the first half of the 20th century, rooms are currently used for educational workshops
  16. COTTAGE OF MIRAJ from Jabłonka – one building partly covered with straw, called in Polish 'kicoki', interior decoration is from the second half of the 20th century
  17. CZARNIAK'S HOMESTEAD from Zubrzyca Górna from 1930 presenting a type of a homestead partly enclosed, rooms are currently used for educational workshops
  18. SCHOOL from Lipnica Wielka, from the second half of the 19th century, comprising a classroom, a school office and a residential room.
  19. HOMESTEAD OF ZĄZEL from Podwilk – 19th/20th century, an exhibition concerning shoemaking and equipment from the mid-20th century inside
  20. HOMESTEAD OF MAŁYS from Chyżne – from the second half of the 19th century, covered with 'kicoki' (straw bundles), furnishings inside come from the first half of the 20th century
  21. MISINIEC'S HOMESTEAD – a cottage preserved 'in situ' (19th/20th century) with a well, a basement, a barn and a forge. The young Karol Wojtyła visited that place in 1938, working at that time at the road construction Krowiarki – an exhibition inside is dedicated to him
  23. CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE SNOWS – built in the first half of the 17th century, originally it was a court chapel, which was later extended. Except late-baroque altars, there is also a choir loft decorated with reliefs of the folk artist Józef Wrona
  24. COTTAGE OF FRANCISZEK KOTA from Zubrzyca Górna from 1869 – a classic example of Orava architecture with furnishings reflecting the life of a moderate-wealth family in the second half of the 20th century
  25. FULLING MILL from Łopuszna from the 19th century, a peasant industry mill, where broadcloth was made in the fulling process
  26. SAWMILL from Łopuszna from the first half of the 19th century, it has 'wałaska' - an undershot waterwheel that drives the mechanism with one saw
  27. FORGE – from the 19th century from Zubrzyca Górna with all equipment
  28. SAWMILL AND WINDMILL – a copy of a 19th-century complex of the peasant industry from Chyżne with the originally preserved watermill and sawmill
  29. WHITE INN - relocated from Podwilk, it is currently used for educational workshops and temporary exhibitions
  30. BEDNIACKA HOMESTEAD – the end of the 19th century, relocated from Podszkle and presenting living conditions of the poorest hosts
  31. BELL TOWER - called 'Loreto Bell Tower' relocated from Zimna Dziura